To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Running for lunch

A friend is coming out to visit Saturday. He of the 100 mpw. His wife is up to 100 miles too. Both of them live and breathe running. They are like running pit bull-terriers. The incredible thing is that my friend is turning 60. His wife is about 20 years younger than he is.

When I was running my best I had no desire to run 100 mpw. I did spend years in the 60-70 mpw range but as insane as that might seem, that was about an hour a day and maybe 90 minutes on Sunday. Mostly it was lunch. At work, while others went out to lunch, I ran for lunch and had something to eat back at my desk. It really was easy. I would leave the office around 11:25 and be at my friend's office about 8-10 minutes later. A quick change in the bathroom and we were out the door. Usually there were 3-4 of us and we ran at about a 6:30-45 minute pace. In an hour we could easily cover 9 miles.

Back in the office, wet towel down (sorry, no shower) and back to work.

When I wasn't running with these guys I taught myself to run from my car. I didn't wear underwear. I wore running shorts so stripping down and getting into my running clothes was easy even in a parking lot. I won't describe the reverse process but yes, i could get back into my work clothes and not miss a beat. Often there was a bathroom handy but if not then I made do. I learned not to tell people how I did this. Women particularly couldn't GROK it.

"What no shower! I couldn't do that." Of course this was followed by, "I have to lose weight." There is a "Duh" factor in there someplace.

The goal was to run and not to let things like location and shower availability stop me. Even if my legs give out tomorrow, I made it work for 38 years. When I needed to run miles, I didn't let things get in the way.

Now the rules are the same but it's every other day. But I am known at times to still run from my car.

No comments: