To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

3 x 1600

When I started this whole thing eight-nine weeks ago my goal was to run 3 x 1600 in 6:30 or under. The reason I chose this as my goal was because it is a 20 minute 5K level interval workout.

http://misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/tables/intervals/int064.html

Late this afternoon I did just that and then some.

I ran 3 x 1600 in a 6:23 average.

6:22
6:27
6:19

Once again Dimitri gave up his dance class, came down from Palo Alto and paced me through the workout. It was almost perfect conditions. The day had been warm and almost spring-like and as the sun set it cooled down nicely but was still t-shirt and shorts type of weather.

I felt good throughout despite two days of back to back hammering at work. I almost decided not to come at all but then I realized that my body was trained now and I could just get into the zone and "walk" my way through the workout.

It wasn't quite that easy but work tensions melted away nicely by the end of the first 1600 and from that point on all I was focused on was hitting my splits.

Dimitri played me like a violin not letting me go out too fast on the first two laps of each rep and then gradually increasing the tempo so that we came in under our goal.

As we came down the last stretch on the last 1600 I said to him, "Damn I feel good!"

Next week is back to 12 x 400 and I will mostly be on my own as I climb the ladder again.

No comments: