To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Because it is there!

We took the whole team to Rancho on this hot and dry afternoon. Mostly on a bus but some were driven. Bellarmine and Homestead were there too. Everyone went on runs that figured to bring them back in about an hour. The 6 top varsity boy runners were supposed to do upper wildcat and the farm bypass. Around 8 miles. I have run it many times.

Well, somewhere along the way they decided to climb Mt. Everest (at Rancho that is Black Mountain..been up there too) and ended going for about 2.5-3 hours. We had to call in the rescue (park) rangers to go out and find them. It was getting towards sundown and there was really no water on the trail past the farm.

Jake, myself and one of the moms (Joan) stayed until everyone was "located". Even Kendrick the Homestead coach offered to help.

The kids admitted that they had lost their heads and Jake gave them a short lecture about doing "the" workout and not being so "creative".

We figured they got in over their heads but not knowing where they were was challenging. This is not the first time this has happened. The varsity girls got "lost" one day but at least that was on the streets of Cupertino and San Jose.

I would have yanked them from a meet or two but in the end it was Jake's call and really their being safe was the priority.

I would have yanked them from the next meet anyway. Redundant. I know. Blah..blah...blah.

But it was Shakespeare who wrote, "All's well that ends well."



Mount Everest: This is where they got lost. They kept going up because it was there.
http://www.bahiker.com/pictures/southbay/rancho/120399/websize/35ridge12.3.99.jpg


Because it is there!


George Leigh-Mallory's scoffing remark to the press when asked why he climbed Everest

_______________________

On the personal, my right leg is healing up. It was the first day I walked around without any significant tightness or pain. While the kids ran Hank and I regaled each other with stories of our fast years. Hank ran about 15-20 mpw more than I did on average and at 55 is where I am at age 65.

So once again, when I come back.

No more quick track work. Maybe some striders but that's it. Otherwise, longer slower runs. I would like to get back up in the hills now and then.

No comments: