To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bench Warmer

http://s3.amazonaws.com/preview.canstockphoto.com/canstock1487094.png

When you are on the bench (injured) you are never really alone. Those that can still play really don't care. They empathize but that's about it. So it is good not too make yourself an object of pity. I went to see Big Bad Billy yesterday and I do admit that this morning my right leg is better.
I actually get up and down and walk around with little or no soreness. Ultimately, no matter what I do, it is dawning on me that rest (R-E-S-T) is best.

There aren't too many other secrets. Dwight of the one miles a week has zappers and pulsers and they may help but in the end you need rest. That was the secret of my recovery from my calf injuries of 2008. After 3 failed comebacks I was beaten down to walking and ten second jog-walks. But I did come back.

Over time the thing will become runnable again and I will return to running. My mistake was to not hear the message when my hamstring was bothering me. It got better and I ran but it was still there which meant that when I ran I compensated and out pressure on other areas. Like Dizzy Dean breaking his toe in the 1937 All Star Game, continuing to pitch, compensating and ultimately ruining his arm. Out of baseball in his early 30's.

So that sub 19 minute Dam Run will have to wait (if ever).

Intervals are out.

I'll default to my normal running and 5-7% tempo (rolling monthly). I seem not to get injured that way.

But in the end EVERYTHING BREAKS unto death.

No comments: