To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Another big day: 11-12 miles

I ran 6 easy miles this morning and another 5-6 in the afternoon. Frankly, I am not sure how far I ran this afternoon. It was over 5 miles but not 6. In the afternoon session I added in 8 x 100 meters in 18 seconds average. It felt good to pick it up.

If I age grade it, the 18's are worth 14's at age 30.

It was hovering around 80 degrees in the afternoon but the heat didn't bother me very much. It was less humid. The morning run the exact opposite. Lower temps but higher humidity.

Ran into our club president Walt who ranted about how one of our 60 plus runners raced last weekend but didn't have a Pacific Association card so he didn't count in the scoring. He had to move one of our 70 plus runners down into the 60 plus category to cover. It didn't hurt our 70 team because we only had one runner. We have a relatively strong 60 plus team but most of us didn't race. Jim is getting over injuries. I am a no-op. I just had no desire to drive all the way up to Sacramento and race 8K. It's hot and steamy up there and I am sure it would have been a death march. One of our other decent 60 plus runners helped crew for a friend running Western States (100 miles through the Sierras). So good team but basically a bunch of no shows.

3 men score but we couldn't make it happen.

Frankly, I was more amused than anything else. My racing days are over. I did it for 25 years (or was it 23?). What keeps me running is the pure enjoyment of it or at least what joy is left. I am basically a loafer who runs. Not very good racing material.

No comments: