To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Friday, June 16, 2006

Brutal Slow Running

Palo Alto Baylands Trail

I ran 6 miles early. It already felt warm. Then I went back out at lunch and met Rick at the Baylands (San Antonio Road..Picture above) and ran another 4.6 miles. It was about 82-83 degress at the start but the temperature climbed quickly and it became a minor death march for Rick coming back. He finally broke into a walk with about a half mile to go while I kept running keeping the pace slow enough to stay under 70% on the HRM. The pace was close to a slog. Rick would walk for a 30 seconds and then run up to my shoulder, stay there for a minute and then walk again. In the end, he just walked.

By the time we both had finished I thought tomyself that this was the hottest low 80's I had felt in some time. We got into some dry clothes and drove to a local cafe for lunch. My car's outside temp gauge registered 93 degrees. No wonder it was a hot low 80's. It was in the 90's. The flames of noon time heat and our age were consuming us. Rick is also out of running shape and he paid that price too.

At lunch I nearly drowned myself in 2 BIG glasses of water and 2 BIG glasses of Coke. Rick drank a beer. "I need a beer," he said. "I need a beer."

No comments: