To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bright Shiny Things




Bright shiny things. It is a repetitive concept. Invasions are like that. No matter how many of these I go through, it is always the same. Oh, variations but on the same theme. As I mentioned in a recent post it is a bit like invading Russia especially when it is 3-4 times larger than the forces you are bringing to bear.

It's best not to invade Russia at all. Historically you will fail. The odds are small.

But if this is the direction you are going to take you need to ask yourself some tough questions and also look at reality. Most of us corporate types put on the gloves and just go at it saying "It's the right thing to do."

When you invade Russia (metaphor, no one is invading Russia so get over it) you need to know who is your general on the ground? Who will be there to make sure that the campaign has a chance. Who will own it?

Are you going to let the Russians handle the invasion? Of course your campaign will never get off the ground but this is exactly what we did the last time around. It didn't work out at all.

Don't let the Italians handle the invasion. They look good, wear nice uniforms and like the idea of a good fight but not if they have to get bloody. Think Italy in World war Two.

Just because you are invading Russian doesn't mean that it will stop being Russia.

Right now I am observing an inner circle, making decisions on important things, who have little or no campaign experience. The inner circle is too inner. How's that for a word? Walked out of work the other evening. Two of them standing there talking, revved up like sports cars. I did my invisibility thing. I passed by, not making eye contact. It's an art.

I am an admitted skeptic. I believe, based on my observations, that an empire will fall if we cross the River Halys. It will be our kingdom, not the other guys.

No comments: