To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Miscalculation

The wages of sin caught up with me however subtle they were.

Decided to run a 600 meter time trial at 2:06 on Saturday afternoon because Sunday looked stormy.

Dimitri agreed so we met at the college at 1 pm. I jogged 25 minutes slow with my usual strides thrown in at the end.

We then ran a 200 in 43 after having gone through the first 100 in 20 seconds. We really backed off down the straight.

After a recovery walk we lined up to do the 600. The intent was to do 43-44-39. Simple...

I told D that I wouldn't look at my watch until the end. We took off and the first 200 felt very easy. I noticed that the next 200 felt faster like we were accelerating sharply. I still avoided glancing at my watch. The last 200 felt even faster but I expected that.

As we came towards the line I figured we were running 2:04-05 but when I finally did look down what I saw bowled me over.

2:10!

D was apologizing. We had gone through the first 200 in 47!!! He had misread his watch.

From then on we had gone according to plan running an 83 next 400.

I told him that it was a damn good thing I hadn't seen the 200 meter time because I would have run a 79 to hit 2:06.

We walked around and finally I said to D that we could run a 400 at 80. That would at least make it a decent workout. We blew around the track in 41-39 and hit 80 on the dot.

A ten minute easy jog and coffee at Starbucks.

No comments: