To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Motivation 1.0

Next week is the 2.75 miler. Since there are no other competitve club races or Pacific Association Races on Sunday, it means that the club run should be competitve. I sat next to Dimitri (my most excellent but now injured pacer) at breakfast yesterday. He is excited about the prospect of my laying back of Schmidt and Hurtado (the 4th and 5th ranked runners in the Pacific Association Short Race Super Senior category in 2005) and then kicking by them at the very end as we come into the college.

He seems to have it all worked out in his mind.

It is too bad because he may be disappointed. That is not the way I have it worked out in my mind. Yes, I would like to be there at the end. Close at least. I am OK with that. If he were not injured I would plant myself behind his shoulder and he would carry me mindlessly to this goal. He would place me right there so I could just sprint past them. The funny thing is that they will be looking for each other and basing their strategy on beating one another, not me.
One can see and feel the pull between the two of them in workouts or races. Schmidt with his surging, looking over the shoulder, style and Hurtado with his relentless pacing.

Being there is ok for me. I did not come back to dominate anyone but to simply enjoy the feeling of running fast again. After this race and Zippy's the following week I will climb the ladder again on Wednesday evenings and Saturday's to get to a faster place.

No comments: