To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dump Week

After trying to run through numerous colds through the years I finally learned a valuable lesson in 1984. I took six whole days off, recovered rather quickly and was running and racing with little loss of time within several weeks.

Before that, I would always try to run through the cold and end up extending it into another cold or the flu with a fever and all that goes with it. 1981 and 1982 were particularly bad. I spend most of the summer of 1981 dealing with a recurring cold and flu until finally I had to take a month off to get things right. In 1982, I had a similar situation. A cold, flu and weeks lost while kept trying to come back too soon.

Colds are only warnings. For whatever reason you come down with one of the buggers, it is sign that your body was not able to resist the virus. I have had a pretty good run of 14 months without being sick.

I last ran on Sunday. I began to feel the first symptoms (sore throat) on Monday afternoon. I may well not run again until next Monday. I was running well before this thing got me. I will come back much faster if I just handle this as a dump week.

No comments: