To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Sunday, December 28, 2008

My legs have asked for a rest

My legs have asked for a rest. First they begged (3 calf pulls surrounded by dead legged runs) and now they have insisted (groin pull, calf again). I finally hear the request even though it was less respectful than anticipated. The universe only cares when you are at the top of your game and the injury of one more over the hill, aging runner is of little consequence even to the runner himself.

I chatted with Mr. Saturday Morning, Ray just a few minutes ago. He lives down in SLO on the central coast. He is thinking about a comeback.

"Just to be in the top 5," he said. That would be enough. I thrived for years being in the top five. The group shifted over time but I stayed up there for ten years. Even at 50 I was still "up there" but it meant less by that time and I knew I had to let go. Letting go of racing is one thing. Letting go of running is another. I have been contemplating this serioulsy for quite some time. It wasn't that I was going to give up on running. I was going to take a vacation from it. But of course, in the end, I had to pushed out the door.

I am out of the running room. Out in the hallway. I hope that is enough for now.

No comments: