To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Sunday, January 10, 2010

23:38

ran that 5K AT run up in GG Park in SF in 23:38. This was 25 seconds faster than the last time which was about a month ago. The course was relatively flat but still had two good little hills and some rollers sprinkled throughout. I found it harder to drive up my HR because it was cold and damp but at least not windy.

So some improvement over the last time but still quite a bit behind what I was doing back in 2007. If I age grade my efforts now, my run today was worth an 18:12. My 21:08 in 2007 was worth 16:38. So I have slipped down the age grading curve even just running AT.

So what can I do about it? Or better yet what will I truly do about it? Smiling

1. I will run more minutes every other day. Not sure how high I will take this but it will help with number 3 (below)

2. I will do more AT workouts. I have felt awkward running AT but that's really because I have spend very little time at that specific effort. Not like it's that hard but your body gets ready to do something because your body gets used to doing it.

3. I need to lose some weight. I am also heavier by about 5-7 pounds heavier than I like to be. This I can accomplish, as long as I do it slowly. Usually a pound every week or two is fine. I have a small bicycle tire (rather than a spare tire). I can see it when I look in the mirror.

4. I am quitting regular full time work. This could be a biggie. Work was draining me. Back to consulting or retirement (which means no more bosses!!!!!!!)

5. I will add in several days of hour walks. I did a heck of a lot of walking back in 2008 when I was injured. It's funny to say but I will have to get back into walking.

Given all of this I am not sure what the effect will be. Sometimes runners at my age who take time off don't come back. 2008 was a very, very spotty year. I missed a great deal of running and 2009 was basically a get back in shape year but even the track reps didn't really help the way I thought they would. I ran stuff too fast and this combined with work stress probably did more to drain my energy rather than build strength.

No comments: