To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Monday, March 05, 2007

A Strange Run

I got out on the roads just before 9 AM this morning. It was a fine day as in very little wind and good sunshine. I was actually running in shorts and T-shirt. That part of the run worked very well. There were several parts that didn't. First, I felt sluggish as if I had been on an all night bender. My legs weren't stiff or sore. I just had trouble getting uncorked. Secondly, I chose to run up the railroad tracks. There is a great wide, flat dirt trail to one side of the track which, unless it has been raining, is very runable. The problem is that the crews have been doing track maintenance and the trail was badly torn up and rutted in many places so that I had to tip toe through more than a few rock strewn sections slowing me way down. It wasn't fun. Challenging but not fun. I got through it though without turning an ankle but finally abandoned the trail for the road and made my way in that way running just over 90 minutes. I got out of my funk about halfway through the run and was able to push the pace a bit. I still kept my HR under 150 and spent most of the run in the low 140's.

It was a generally a slog run. I think that unless the crews go back and grade the trail, it will be a tough place to run until the thousands of walkers and runners pound the dirt back down.

No comments: