To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Pushing to the Edge

I went over early to WVC to run with Jake. As we warmed up I felt slightly worn out. Not sleeping that well. Not sure what is causing it. I have had a mouth sore or two and that may be because of less sleep or (OR) what is symptomatic of what is causing me not to sleep as well. But Jake said "My legs feel like S--T!" and I said back rather quickly "Well, let's do something else." So we ran 5 miles easy and went to the track to do 3 x 500 meters (Van Aaken). I let Jake get a lead on me on each one and I tried to catch him. This resulted in me running 1:48-1:46-1:44. My best yet as an old guy. We then ran around campus for an easy warmdown. Maybe 7.5-8 miles total. By that time I had pretty much decided NOT to run the evening workout. I was not bashed but I was tired and those mouth sores were warning me not to push too hard.

1 comment:

marappu said...

I am back to using the Van Aaken method of training, too. For me, I have been mixing the Maffetone method with Van Aaken. My HR ceiling for aerobic running is at 138 (Maffetone) and I will do this for at least 8 weeks, then put in some "speed" at no more than 20% of mileage (Van Aaken's 20:1 ratio.

The other training methods just kill these old legs. As of this year, I will have 34 years of hard running under my belt.

Keep up the posts. I enjoy reading them!