To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, June 27, 2009

1200 meter time trial

I am becoming a machine of sorts. After spending yesterday summarily executing people at work (a.k.a. RIF's) I was not at my best this morning. My mind was else where (LIKE ON RETIREMENT!!!!). But if you are a machine you flip the "on" switch and go do what you are supposed to do.

Met at Dimitri over at Prospect which once again was thankfully deserted and we warmed up for 20 minutes as slow as we could. I did some striders and my legs felt anything BUT heavy so I knew that I was OK. The goal was to break 4:40 for 1200 meters. I last did that 2 years ago.

We went out softly, running the first lap at 95. I had promised D that I wouldn't keep checking my watch so I had no idea what the split was. I wasn't full of energy but I felt alright. I could feel the pace shift slightly during the second lap as we scooted through in the 3:08 I had requested. Once again, I didn't check the watch. I found out this later on.

On the 3rd lap I could feel the effort but nothing I couldn't maintain. With 200 to go D said "Alright Rich," so I knew we were on track.

I clicked the stop watch and at last looked. It read 4:36:94. In my book, a 4:36 and change. 10 seconds faster than the last time I did this workout on May 23rd.

We walked a lap and then ran one more 400. "Nothing hard," I said. I was thinking 92-93 but as easy as it felt, it was an 87. A GOOD SIGN boys and girls.

I then did the requisite 14 slow...slow minutes as a warm down.

The time age grades to a 3:32 at age 30.

No comments: