To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Short Course on a hot day

"then the heat of Arabia came out like a drawn sword and struck us speechless."

Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence


The heat of late summer came upon us today. We waited for it all through the summer but now it came, suddenly but not unexpectedly. After all, it has to have it's say in things.

I ran early. First I stretched my aching back by jogging 10 minutes near where I lived. It is never good in the first few minutes but then by five minutes out from home things begin to loosen up and I can actually run.

I then drove over to West Valley and Danny and I ran another 60 minutes but equally slow. It felt warm but not yet hot. Afterward we drove up to see Big Bill and he artfully wrenched me back into place. Breakfast and then some rest.

In the mid afternoon, and now it was over 90, Jake and I walked the XC course with my GPS and as expected  found it to be short. 2.05 versus the advertized 2.1. That explained the fast two mile times that runners were taking credit for (but they didn't know). 40 minutes of calorie burning even though it was only walking.

Then the kids had to run. We sent them down to a local park to run tempo on the shade covered grass. 








No comments: