To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

6:18

Key workout. Wednesday morning with Jake. He showed up with a bad cold. We warmed up for our usual 3 miler but I could tell that he was dragging. He ran almost 3 hours Monday including time on the eliptical trainer. His body broke. Not the BIG broke. Just a small warning. A cold.

I offered to forget the mile time trial and just go run 100's but he declined. He wanted to have a go at it.

I had run 6:27 last time out and wanted to improve on that effort. I told Jake to start out ahead of me and I would try and catch him. The local PE class was doing 6 laps on the track so I knew would have to run around them. Jake lumbered around the first two turns and I took off thinking that while this didn't have to be painful that I would still need to go out faster than 3:30 like I did last week. I came through in 98-3:16, then threw in a 96. Jake had dropped out and was hanging around the finish waiting to go run the last lap with me. I saw 4:52 which had been my target. Jake caught right up on my shoulder. It helped to have him there. I kept picking it up and as I came off the turn I just went into a fast strider all the way in and saw 6:18 flat as I crossed the line. Age grade that and it's a sub 5 minute effort. I ended up running a good part of the last two laps hugging lane two as I passed the PE class. Briefly, in my age graded glory, I was the fastest man on the track.

Jake and I walked and then we did our 8 x 100 with a 300 meter jog. Jake stopped at 6. I think he was just out of gas. Then we jogged around campus, changed and went out for coffee.

In the evening I went back out for a social 6 x 800 at a very easy pace. Dinner with the Pick, Dimitri and Ray afterward.

No comments: