To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Marshal Ney: Merger Czar

I was going to be the merger czar at work but today I was relieved of that job because one of the execs wants to run the show. My boss was not happy abut it but I had warned him that this is the new shiny bright thing and I was fine in stepping aside and just working the HR side of things. Mergers are a like fresh meat out on the Serengeti. All sorts of prey animals (AKA...New Friends) show up for a piece of the action. Of course I wanted to head this up. Good players want the ball in their hands. It's their nature.

The problem is that the exec they CEO chose is like Napoleon allowing Marshal Ney to general much of the battle of Waterloo. Ney was the Bravest of the Brave but not a great general. The CFO just doesn't lead or communicate very well and mergers need good generals. He will say he is the general but in the end it will look more like an armed mob than an organized effort. Luckily he has some good officers under his command and they will do their best to deliver.

I have to hope our Marshal Ney will be successful. The fate of the last one was rather final in nature.




In the old days a merger like this would be call The Show. Roughly translated it is the Western Front of the business world.

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood. The outcome will be random in nature because there is a random characteristic to mergers and a randomness to the company I work for. I knew that coming back in.

I will ride off into the desert with my tribesmen "as usual" and let the big general run the big army. We'll stay on the flank and away from the heavy guns. Lately I seem to be spending more and more time out there anyway.

No comments: