To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Negative Splits

Ran 5 minutes at home this morning to shake things out. I then drove over to Prospect and warmed up for another 17 minutes with "D" and Jake. I did some strider and passed on the shakedown 400.

The workout was a rare 1600 meter trial at around 95%.

I felt a bit lethargic but I had decided that I was going to do it regardless. I started my watch but didn't look at it the rest of the way. I tucked in and stayed behind D.

The first lap was like rolling out of bed in the morning. I knew I was going to do it but if someone had brought me a cup of java, I would just have soon have stayed put. I found out afterward that this was 96.

The second lap was a total change. I actually started feeling very good so I knew I was "into" it. In fact, several times, I felt like I was going to run up D's back. Later on I found out we had run a 99. In other words D had fallen asleep and of course because I wasn't clock watching, I had no idea that were behind pace.

3:15 at the 800.

The third lap was faster. I could feel the speeding up but I felt fine. I had expected that the last two laps would be quicker. We arrived at 1200 in 4:49 so we had run a 94.

On the final lap everything changed. We pushed down the backstretch and then really began to "drive" with 200 to go. I could finally feel the effort. As we hit the last 100 I came up on his shoulder and I worked at relaxing as we hammered our way to the finish.

As we came across the line I hit my stopwatch and heard D say "damn!". I figured that we hadn't broken 6:18 but I glanced down (finally) and saw 6:16!

We had run the last 800 in 3:01!

D felt bad because we hadn't broken 6:15 but frankly I could have cared less. My goal was to break 6:18. That had been my time trial PR for the last 26 months. Beating a time from two years ago was a major accomplishment so I was pleased.

I slow jogged for 12 minutes and called it a day.

No comments: