To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The Cage





So at work we had a women who was put on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) back several months ago. She was given 60 days to shape up up ship put. We did everything to make sure she had a fair shake because she has one of the worst managers in the company. I met with her to tell her how this all would come down and how she had the best chance to make it through tomahawk alley.

She cried silently throughout but seemed grateful for the support.

Well, she made it though and was taken off PIP several weeks back non the worse for wear. The other day she came by and asked for a few minutes. I thought she wanted to deconstruct what had happened but that wasn't it at all. She was back to crying again because she didn't get a bonus.

Well folks on PIP's don't get bonuses.

She didn't get that at all.

The tears rolled.

I wanted to verbally "slap" her and tell her that she was lucky to have a job. I bit my lip and tongue and any other part of my mouth that would keep me from saying those words. I even sat on my hands.

I finally said those great words.

"I don't think you understand what was happening here." That was the truth. "You need to put this behind you and move on or you might find yourself back here on warning again."

Part of her warning was her poor attitude.

I could see the future. She was rotting from the inside of a mental cage that she had locked herself into while throwing away the key.

Tears were her lubricant.

No comments: