To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Thursday, January 26, 2006

6 x 800's

Went out in the early morning and ran 5 miles very easy. My legs felt stiff and tired from pushing my runs harder than usual on Monday. I wondered if I would be able to run my intervals this evening at West Valley College.

I showed up in the late afternoon and warmed up for about 3 miles part of it with Tom O'Connor who is quickly becoming one of our ace 50 plus runners. Tom has young legs so he doesn't have to deal with having 70-80,000 miles of treadwear like many of us.

The workout was 6 x 800 starting every 6 minutes. I ran the first one in 3:16. It wasn't bad but I did feel sluggish. My goal was to run these in 3:15 or faster and not immolate myself.

My body seemed to kick in at that point and I gradually ratcheded them down to 3:11-3:09-3:08-3:04-3:00. Each one felt better than the last but with a 3:08 average I doubt that I am in 6:16 shape to run a 5K. I have no doubt that it is the fact that I am running these with a group that allows me to run faster. If I ran these alone I would be slower (and more realistic). But what the hell. I am just going to go with it for now and make sure my easy days are very easy.

Overall it was an 11 mile day.

No comments: