To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Slow Flight

No running today. I went flying at 1 pm. For the first time in weeks we got out of pattern work and headed down to the south valley and worked on slow flight and stalls. All in all, it went well. It was a beautiful day and the mountains looked incredible.

Coming back we made a straight in landing approach and for the first time I did it unassisted. Rob coached me but basically I got her down for a "safe landing". We came down slightly harder than what is considered desirable but I rounded out and flared nicely. It was great but I am not sure of all I did to make it happen.

However then we taxied back for another go around, this time in the pattern and I seemed to be behind the ball on every part of the maneuver. On final turn I was too high and too fast and if Rob hadn't been in the airplane to save my ass, I would have gone around and done it again. I was still trying to round out and get us straight on the center line when we had to flare to avoid coming down too hard. Rob told me to give it a bit more power because we were ballooning and at least I understood what he was asking me to do. I threw in about 200 RPM's

Then I pulled back the power, flared and we settled onto the runway but well down past our mark. I had to taxi off the runway at the far end.

Tomorrow the wind comes back (or so the weather forecast says) with showers. I plan to run 3-4 miles.

No comments: