To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Bob and Joe, Again!

After talking Thursday off, Friday was a typical recovery day. I jogged 5 miles (untimed thank God). I was nicked up from the Wednesday evening workout. Several hot spots but nothing that stopped me from running.

By Saturday my legs felt much better and I was able to run with the front runners during the 3 mile warmup. Then they all went to run 5K on the track while I ran around watching them and adding another 6 miles to my daily total of 8-9 miles. I am really unsure and don't care much.

In the 5K track race The Joe and Bob battle continued. Joe went out hard which is not his usual strategy. Usually Bob does this, Joe stalks him and then they battle it out. Joe went out in 90 seconds for the first 400 and then he ran a 91 for the second lap. By three laps he was at slowing but still had a big lead on Bob.

At 3200 meters Joe was just a hair over 13 minutes and Bob was about 9-10 seconds back. That all changed in the next lap and Bob cut his lead in half. In another lap he had caught and passed him and gradually just moved away. They both ended up running in the mid 20's for 5K with Bob in front. Dimitri commented that he believed I could beat both of them now (we're all in our 60's) but I never count these two guys out. In battling each other they often tend to run over guys like me. Had Joe gone out sanely, I am sure it would have been a very different battle with both of them trying to kill each other over the last 2 laps instead of a dying Joe falling away from Bob.

My Wednesday workout says low 20's for 5k but it doesn't mean that I can run that sort of time yet. I may have run ahead of my conditioning. I just don't know yet. I will have a better idea over the next several weeks when I run 4 x 1200 and 3 x 1600.

Lost in the excitement was The Pick running all alone up front. Even in his mid 40's he is capable of running a low 16 minute 5K.

No comments: