To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Somewhere north of 55 minutes

Today was a come to Moses workout. I ran an easy 25 minutes and then joined Dimitri on the track. He was running a 13:30 two mile time trial. I knew I wasn't ready for that effort as pitiful a time as it seemed. I hadn't run hard for two and a half months (Oh how time flies when you are having fun). I decided to run two laps, slow jog back a 100, pick up Dimitri and run another two laps and do that 3 times. So I ran a 13:30 two mile pace but skipped two laps. I struggled the first two laps just getting used to the effort. The middle and last 2 lappers were easier and stronger.

In two weeks Dimitri is going to do this workout again but shoot for 13:15 (ugh!). I will either run my own full version of this or try to stay with him for 1.5 laps. It only gets tougher because he is headed for 12 minutes and I haven't done anything near that in years. I would be ecstatic if I could run close to 13 minutes again.

Anyway, afterward we jogged for an easy 20 minutes around campus and then I asked Dimitri to take me through a 45 second 200. I easily did a 43 which gave me some hope as to the present condition of my leg speed.

The total workout was somewhere north of 55 minutes.

My plan is to join D next week and do every other 400 with him. He does 12 and I do 6. So here I am again saying no to intervals but that's exactly what this will be. Well, maybe reps but still a good dose of what usually kills me. But I am betting the come as they say. I am hoping that my supplement program will give me the ability to recover from these types of workouts plus I won;t be doing them every week. But is this blah..blah..blah or something real.

The key is recovery. I am also aware that like it or not I am more of a 800-1500-5,000 runner and not a 5 and 10K runner anymore. Miles are important but not as important as I would like to believe.

Recovery however remains king.
http://www.stopwatchsh.com/upimages/2006826183642760.jpg
His most serene highness, The Stopwatch

No comments: