To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

WHOA! 110 minutes

I got over to Rainbow before summer cross country practice and ran 60 minutes, most of it with Jake. I kept the pace pedestrian knowing that I was going to double back after lunch. The morning run was one of enforced sluggishness. The weather cooperated staying overcast and cool which meant that it wasn't the usual sweat-fest.

Jake sent the kids out on a long run today which meant that they each ran 60 minutes or more. Their pace looked deceptively slow but I doubt I could have stayed with them very long. It would be a big thing if I could hang with the girls but since I don't believe that coaches should run with their team, I won't face that awful truth.

I met Dwight at 1 pm at the baseball complex parking lot adjacent to Sunnyvale Baylands Park. Dwight and Kari got lost out there about a week ago so I promised Dwight a tour especially since this was once my run-at-lunch domain. It was good to be home again (or can you ever go home again?). We ran around the park and the bayland trails for 50 minutes making Tuesday a humongous 110 minute day.

I felt strong in the afternoon and Dwight {{{he of the 100 mile weeks}}} was kind enough to hang on my shoulder. We had a chance to not only to run together for the first time in years but chat about how a runner can achieve real recovery. Dwight thinks that if I follow "the plan" I can get back under 19 minutes a year from now. The only question is, for what distance? I told him I would be happy if I could be under 20 minutes for the Club Handicap Run a year from now. That would be late August or early September of 2011.

If I can do that I will be doing my best imitation of the 1973 Mets. Tug McGraw will stir in his grave and once more his cry will resound through the ballparks of the major leagues.

Ya gotta believe!




From Wikipedia:

The 1973 Mets' .509 season winning percentage is the lowest posted by any pennant-winner in major league history. Under the comparatively new divisional play system, the Mets found themselves back in the World Series, but with a much weaker team than in their legendary 1969 championship season.


No comments: