To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Bow Run

This morning The Last Runner Standing ran a 10k race with another "Last Runner". Shel and I drove up to a Dolphin Club run in San Francisco. It started and ended at the the Yacht Harbor. Strange course. It was basically two different out and backs tied together at the finish to form an elongated bow. I took off slowly and stayed slow. I caught up to Mort who is another survivor from the old days and 9 years my senior. We hung together chatting and catching up. Except for twice in the first two miles when my right hamstring tightened up, the run was extremely enjoyable. No other legs problems at all.

I kept my HR in the mid to high 140's and even let it drift up into the low 150's on several occasions. But my per mile pace is not speeding up. The run took 61 minutes (and change). So supplements or not, there seems to be no magic pill. This is my second month taking them and with the exception of just feeling better run to run, the pace is still grooved into the high 9's and low 10's.

No complaints though. I need to tend to this hamstring issue and focus on getting back to running some tempo efforts.

Here is Mort sprinting ahead of me. I am the guy in the white just entering the finishing area. I look like I am walking. Hell, I look like a member of the finish line crew not a runner.
http://dserunners.com/gallery/images/2010_dse_races/8_15_10__walt_stack_10k/dse_walt_stack_00220.jpg

Here is another one of me taken a few moment later. What the heck am I doing? Reading scriptures?
http://dserunners.com/gallery/images/2010_dse_races/8_15_10__walt_stack_10k/dse_walt_stack_00221.jpg

This, by the way, is Clara Bow the great silent screen actress also known as the "It Girl". She died in 1965 when I was only 20. This photo says more about her life than any of her glamour or publicity shots. The inner sadness. It's all there.

Portrait of Clara Bow

No comments: