To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Men of the 800

I have been thinking of goals lately. I would like to retrace some of the territory I have retreated from over the last 15 years. I know ti will be tough.

My goal is to run a sub 2:30, 800 meter by next summer (or the summer after).

Very tough because I stopped doing the type of speedwork or races that would have kept in the ball park. In fact, I have never been an 800 meter runner. My all time PR is 2:06 but I never trained for it. I just showed up at an all comers meet, jumped on the track and ran it. My 4:31 mile says I could have been down around 2 flat and small change.

I am not in the ball park. Not right now at least.

This isn't a mileage thing. 25 miles per week will do it. Maybe a long run of an 6-8 miles.

But to get my legs ready for 75 second laps I am going to have to do reps and sprints.

6-8 x 100 in 17-18 seconds. 2-4 x 400 in 75. 2 x 600 in 1:52. Maybe some 200's in 35-37.

Two hard workouts a week. One day of 100's and one day of reps.

I am going to have to work my way down to those times and not get injured. So progression is important. The times above are those I want to reach. The reps at the start will be closer to 90 seconds. The 100's in 20-22.

Other things:

Ice (brrrrr)
Massage
The stick! (my father's old WWII, MP billy club)

So my week might look like this.

Tuesday: 60 minute run

Wednesday: 2 mile warm up, 6-8 x 100 jogging 300 in between, 2 mile warmdown

Friday: 60 minute run

Sunday: 2 mile warm up, 4 x 400 at date, 2 mile warmdown.

Keep my own council. Stay flexible on days and workouts.

No comments: