To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Friday, July 06, 2007

6 miles, Heart Attacks & a 5:30 Mile

The last two days have been real heaters. I went to the track yesterday evening and watched Dimitri run a 5:30 mile. He was very (VERY) unhappy. He had hope that this would be the year of the sub-five minute mile. I can remember how that felt in my competitive days. He was just about to cash in the summer but I told him to wait a a few days and see if he still felt the same. He is struggling with the fact that his mile training has gone down the toilet. I believe he killed off his legs with numerous "secret" hard workouts instead of allowing the speed to just come to him. He doesn't see it because his running log is not on paper but in his mind and the mind plays funny tricks on us all.

Danny was there too. He told me that Wally had had his second heart attack Wednesday after a hard set of 400's. The doctors put another stent in (his 6th) and my guess is that he'll be banned from running. The fact I am writing about it in this manner says that he'll be ok for now. Just another clogged artery. His genetics are trying to take him down. He keeps surviving regardless of his DNA.

I went out this morning and ran 6 miles. It was already warm. I ran the RR tracks out to Sunnyvale-Saratoga and back. I kept my HR in the 140-150 range. My legs felt ok but not great. There is no magic there. A 9 minute pace is beginning to become normal. It is no longer an aberration.

No comments: