To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Back With Jake

Back with Jake this morning at Los Gatos High School. We met in the parking lot at 7:30 AM and it was already getting hot. Ran up the trail to just below the dam. Jake said it was between 3.5 and 3.75 miles round trip. Ended up bumping into McKayla Plank who is a top collegiate runner and an old friend of ours. We also saw Christine Kennedy who is a top class 50 plus woman runner who has the goal of running 2:50 at Chicago in the fall. Her 10K's say 2:58-3:00 hours but she gets stronger as she goes longer.

By the time we got back to the track I sort of knew that this wasn't my day despite the very easy pace. I tried a 1600 meter trial but gave up at 3 laps. Just didn't feel that energetic. It wasn't any leg soreness. I was just body tired from two nights of sub-par sleep. Jake and I ran back up the trail again as a warm down (from what?) and 2 laps around the track for another 3+ miles. Altogether I ran around 8 miles.

Jake felt better about his running. He is keeping his HR down on almost all of his runs even though I still think he runs too much. If I ran 7 days a week, I would keep my HR low and run about an hour a day just like I did in ancient times. Back then I could run about 9 miles in an hour without an great strain. It might be 6-7 miles in that same hour at age 62 but the load would be much the same. Anyway, something to think about.

We went to breakfast with the club. I decided to sit next to Madelyn and Danny and had a great time. I own half the issue here so I decided to swim in the belly of the beast. Hopefully this is the beginning of an upturn with Madelyn.

No comments: