To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Friday, July 13, 2007

Not Another Runner

I ran a true 5 miler this morning adding an extra 400 to my usual 4 laps on the De Anza Track. The strange part was that the track was empty. Not a single other runner showed up during the 5 laps I ran there. Anway, I had time to think (or maybe I took time to think). I realized that slow as I am that if I want to run faster I need to go back to my program of 1990-1991 which was basically every other day running with an AT test run every 3rd to 4th week. Most of my other runs need to be at or below 70%. That means 4 runs one week, 3 the next. Back in 1990 I did about 10 miles a day and my guess is that I can still do 8-10 miles on the days I run. I may be able to get away with my present 4 day schedule as long as I run only 3 days during the next week. Older runners with as many miles as I have on my legs have to give something away. Either intensity or running days. I am watching my friend Jake just continue to dig himself into a hole with 7 days of running week after week at any pace. His body does not recover.

If all this works I probably should be able to do intervals and tempo runs from time to time but the first order of business is simply to get faster during my AT runs or during my easy runs.

I guess this is called eating my own dog food.

No comments: