To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Another Approach

I have been talking to George Beinhorn on email. He is a few years older than I am and seems at peace with his approach to running. He starts his runs very slow and works into it as long as it feels right. He also believes in putting most of his work in on a single day. The other two days he runs are short 30 minute recovery runs. His hard day is long and generally up in the hills. So we have been chatting and I just bought his book. Watching my peers crash and burn by constantly doing too much running tells me that as I age I need more rest or alternative workouts (walking???) to pounding every other day. I am ready to shift to one big day a week and 2-3 short recovery days. This will be my first shift since I went to every other day back in late 1990. Of course I realize that one running day is simply to burn calories. I can always walk that mileage instead.

Of course it will be strange but it was very strange back in 1990 after 15 years of running 7 days a week.

The "big" day could be a race or long-long run or a double day. The others just easy recovery runs. The rule would be no running if I am tired and sore.

This will be strange.

No comments: