To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Strong Day


Jake and I ran on the trail to Lexington Dam. It was a back and forth "loop" and for the first time in weeks he hadn't totally immolated himself in the days before we hooked up. I insisted that we jog the first loop very, very slowly. Everyone running on that trail in our direction easily passed us going out and coming back. We ran for 32 minutes give or take a few seconds.

On the second loop I let Jake set the pace and we did a strong 21:36. My HR hovered in the 145-152 range with a slight spike up to 158 at the very end. Jake then asked for a minute or two to recover and we went back up again and this time my HR monitor was consistently in the 155-164 range. Over the last few minutes we pushed hard and I came across in 20:50. Jake was 5 seconds behind me. I was trying to lead him in but he just had to back off in the last 100 meters. Still his best run of the year.

Jake said that the whole run was 8.5 miles.

I made the decison NOT to go out to the Wednesday evening workout. The last two times I did this I was just plain wasted. Jake and I are going in different directions. I am going to continue down the path of less is more and he is going to more is more. It not about who ends up to be the fittest or fastest. For me it is about running and feeling decent and enjoying the process. Since late 1990 that has not involved running more miles. I hope I can progress (while I inevitably get slower due to age). I can use age grading to track my progress. I thought I wouldn't care but as arbitrary as it is, it better than just seeing your times slow.

No comments: