To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

12 Mile Day

I drove up to Los Gatos High to run with Jake. We took off at about 8 am and did an easy 2.5 miles. Then we came back to the track to run a 2-3 miler at Jakes AT HR. The track was crowded with football players doing 40 yard dashes. They had no track awareness so everytime we came by the front straight heading towards the finish line we were challenged with kids walking back and forth across the inside lane. We bailed after one lap because Jake's HR monitor readout was sticking. Then we began again running at an 8 pace for 6 laps before Jake just dropped. After that he decided to run up to the dam and run close to 150 HR up and back of a specific portion of the 3.5 mile distance. That part actually felt really decent. It was a gradual ascent going out but the reverse coming back. We were doing about an 8 minute pace on the way to the high school and my HR was about 140.

I told Jake that his results were not making me want to run 7 days a week at any pace. I am more convinced than ever that the way to go for us old legged runners* is 4-5 days a week running more miles on the days we run rather than adding extra days. Optimal may still be every other day.

* Old legged Runners are those of us who have been running for 35-40 years or more and have accumulated 75,000 and more miles on their legs. Young legged, older runners have still have life in their legs. They don't have the years of pounding.

Later that same afternoon I went out and did another 4 miles with the club at WVC track. I strided 5 x 100 in 20-21 seconds but frankly my legs were tired from 8 miles this morning and a 12 mile total running day.

No comments: