To reach me via email

If you wish to reach me: lastchancerunner@gmail.com

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Fault, dear Brutus

Queen Nefernefer sent me an email this morning mildly rebuking me on how to do the correct paperwork on a termination. She copied her boss. Now if M were still here she would have walked down and talked to her but M is gone and I am the bad replacement. I went right up to her and told her that this wasn't going to work with me. M may be gone but she could still walk down and just show me what my error was and I would make every attempt to fix it. I also asked her NOT to start up with the ccing tactic. In my world, you cc someone when there is a need to know, not to document a mistake unless of course you are trying to build a case.

She needn't worry. This gig is not my style and I will try to get out of here as quickly as possible. Right now I am making every attempt to act like I care.

So in the midst of a hectic morning I fought my first minor skirmish versus the chubby queen of payroll. Sorry Nefernefer that M is gone but she got burned out doing this job and I am here to cover the bases until we find the next player.

Of course I wondered why I acted this way. My first day on the job alone after two weeks of knowing that this was not the best place for me. I am on edge. I know that. Foolish commitments to all sides made by me. If I were being asked to really upgrade and change things then it would be a challenge. The one I wrote about several posts back. But my client, the CFO, just doesn't care.

He reiterates. "I guess I'll have to do it myself to do it right." I have heard that one at least a half dozen times in the last few weeks.

So, at the bottom of things, I am just an interim administrator. A job like this could drive a man to permanent retirement.

Cassius:

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)


Worked 8 hours straight. No lunch so I took back the hour by just leaving the premises at 5 pm. Very clerk-like but not very like me. Got home and went out for a 30 minute walk with a 9 minute painless jog inserted in the middle. MRI tomorrow.

No comments: